Lab gas generators are devices used to make pure gas for lab experiments and other analytical applications.
This is done by causing a chemical reaction that produces a gas in its pure form as the end product.
Examples of lab gas generators and the reactions they use are:
To make hydrogen, the generator uses electrolysis to separate the hydrogen and oxygen molecules that make up water (H2O). The oxygen molecules are then filtered out, leaving pure hydrogen gas.
As nitrogen is present in the air we breathe, nitrogen generators only require a compressed air supply to produce the gas. The compressed air is passed through a membrane or carbon molecular sieve to separate out the nitrogen from the other elements in the air, like oxygen and carbon dioxide, for a pure supply.
Zero air generator
Zero air gas generators use catalytic oxidation technology to remove impurities, such as pollutants, from the air to create an ultra-pure air supply to use for analysis.
These processes ensure the gas produced is pure, removing potential contaminants and allowing analytical instruments to maintain consistency and repeatability for an accurate result.
How are gas generators used in chromatography?
Gas generators are used to aid Gas Chromatography (GC) and Liquid Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (LC/MS).
These processes often require a constant flow of pure gas for the mobile phase in order to achieve compound separation. Having an on-site gas generator ensures the gas is flowing at a steady rate, without fear of running out half-way through analysis.
Gas generators are a great way to streamline the workflow and improve the efficiency of the laboratory. They also allow your lab to move away from expensive and inconvenient pressurised gas cylinders, removing the safety and operational implications of pressurised gas.
About VICI Gas Generators
For over 30 years VICI DBS has been a leading manufacturer of gas generators and accessories for the analytical instrument market.
Its gas generators are manufactured based on years of industry expertise, to ensure equipment is made to the highest standard.
As a manufacturer of the core generator technology, VICI DBS has full control over the design, assembly, and future development of the complete product range. This allows VICI DBS to supply intelligent, customer focussed gas generators to labs across the world.
Why we recommend VICI gas generators
At LC Services, we strive to supply and distribute only the best equipment for chromatography analytical laboratories, including lab gas generators. We have hand-picked VICI gas generators for their high-quality outputs and excellent product specifications.
Here are just some of the reasons why we recommend VICI DBS:
- Convenient – VICI gas generators give you pure gas on-demand without the need to manage supply or change cylinders.
- Advanced technology – VICI gas generators use the latest technology to ensure a consistent flow for a stable baseline, increased sensitivity and repeatable analysis.
- Cost-effective – VICI gas generators remove the ongoing costs of gas cylinders that are expensive to ship and store for a more cost-effective solution.
- Long-lasting – VICI gas generators have a long service life, giving you access to pure gas as and when you need it for up to 10 years.
- Combination generators – VICI’s range of combination generators produce hydrogen and zero air in one cabinet. This helps to save bench space in your lab and further reduce costs.
If you’re interested in improving efficiency and decreasing costs for your lab, browse our range of VICI gas generators.
And if you have any questions about lab gas generators or other chromatography equipment, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the LC Services team.